Escape from the workhouse!

This is my life. The breeze was howling on a cold winter’s night and it was louder than the Matron’s voice. Then the Matron opened the door, I closed my eye and hoped for the best. Fear rushed down my throat. Phew, I got away with that. Now, I can escape. I tiptoed across the wooden floor, then I reached out for the door handle which creaked as I turned it slowly. I opened the door, luckily no one was there.

Now, I can escape, all I have to do is go down the corridor. As I reached the corner I tiptoed around and I could see someone, it was the Master. I hid and the darkness surrounded me. He walked straight past me. What good luck. I walked and I walked. I tiptoed and I tiptoed across the wooden floor until I could see the door that leads to the open air. I opened the door and I saw the big grand gates. I thought to myself about how I could get out of here. Then I had an idea, could I fit through the gaps in the gate? I ran as fast as a cheetah and slipped through the gaps and made a run for it…

by Phoebe