Mrs Beeton’s Victorian Masterchef

Today, we have been cooking some of Mrs Beeton’s vegetable stew. We selected our own ingredients from a choice of onions, carrots, celery, leeks, kale and spinach. Most of them are from the UK and are seasonal vegetables.

Looking on the packaging, we could see that the spinach and celery was from Spain and discussed how cheap they are even though they have traveled from Spain and used a lot of fuel to get here.

After selecting ingredients, we learnt some basic knife and cutting skills and practiced julienne, chop, dice and finely chopping. We then decided how to chop our own and think about texture (crunchy or soft), taste, colour and shape of our ingredients.

We had a recap of hygiene and what cross-contamination means and sang a quick song about washing your hands!

Finally, we cooked each team’s stew in class and evaluated them.

Mr Barnes came in and tasted Mr Cooper’s final 2. After much thought, Mr Barnes decided that Crazy Apples stew won on texture and taste, congratulations.

14 thoughts on “Mrs Beeton’s Victorian Masterchef

1. I have never experienced about what it’s like to be in the Victorian times. There were shouting and they were very strict. Though at least i enjoyed it. 🙂

2. I loved doing the fine chop with the onions, but it made my eyes water. unfortunately, i didn’t like the stew at all;it was to watery:[

3. I really enjoyed making vegetable stew and even had another go at cooking it at home it was delicious. I can not wait until we next do cooking.